I provide: Stargazing tours of the night sky to families, small groups and individuals.
My guided tour of the night sky introduces people to the beauty of the heavens. The tour is geared towards persons with little or no stargazing experience. My unique approach to astronomy brings you the universe in real time; this is not a domed light show. No funky laser show (well maybe just a little) or pre-recorded narration gets in the way of the pure enjoyment of the universe. My main desire is to share my passion for the night sky!
The tour starts with a general introduction to astronomy and the constellations. Thru the Meade LX200R 304mm (12″) Schmidt Cassegrain telescope you will observe interesting objects such as the Moon, bright stars, planets, star clusters, nebulae and galaxies. What we can actually observe depends on the moon phase and general sky/weather conditions. TIMES MAY ALSO CHANGE TO SUIT THE PLANETARY CONDITIONS. So come and relax as I take you to the limits of your imagination on an astronomy journey you`ll never forget. You’ll see more than just stars…
Using a decent aperture (12″ mirror) telescope and utilizing high tech CCTV camera technology, a Night Sky Interpretive astronomy tour shows the natural grandeur of the universe LIVE as only you can see with your own eyes. By using such a large telescope and delicate computerized equipment & sensitive CCTV technology, the human eye can see the wonders of the Universe LIVE something that only a long exposure photograph could show (Preview_here). The telescope and modern equipment alone is impressive even without looking through the eyepiece, which is not necessary as you will see all the images LIVE on a LCD screen in realtime. Visit the “My Observatory” page to see a glimpse of my astronomical equipment.
Most people are surprised at the amount of detail and sheer lushness of objects in the night sky. The LucAstronomy Night Sky Tour is truly a memorable experience.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Winter and summer holiday dates around the new moon fill up fastest and are the best for viewing. Call early for best dates. Check the moon phases for your city/town here.
- The session usually starts around 9:00 pm in the summer and 7:00 pm in the winter. The session lasts for about two hours.
- Please, A Night Sky Tour on appointment only!
- Sky tours are presented in both English and Afrikaans.
- A Night Sky Tour includes folding stool seating if required.
- You are welcome to bring along a picnic bag.
- Bring warm clothing (I mean it) for the cooler months, comfortable footwear and a ready mind.
- Nigth Sky Tours is open to all. Visitors to the Garden Route area are also welcome.
- Currently, due to space restrictions in my observatory only a maximum of 4 people per group, per session can be allowed.
- Should the group be larger than 4 people I have a portable Meade 8″ Classic SCT Telescope that can be quickly assembled/transported anywhere. Please contact me for more information. Travel/Fuel charges will apply.*
- In general, the tour is not suitable for children under 6 years of age.
- R180 P/P for 1 Person. (Adult)
- R150 P/P for 2 Persons. (Adult)
- R130 P/P for 3 Persons. (Adult)
- R110 P/P For 4 Persons. (Adult)
- R70 Flat Rate P/P. (Children)
Make an appointment with me Lucas, your Host and Night Sky Guide
Contact Information @ Bottom of Page